Sunday, March 8, 2009

Breaking up is hard to do.

Whoever said you can’t go home again was wrong. Roger and I are living proof. I couldn’t have asked for an easier transition back into life in Atlanta. In fact, sometimes – most of the time – it feels almost like I never left. Almost.


I say "almost" because, well, obviously not everything is the same. I’ve certainly changed a little over the last two years, and it would be unfair for me to think that the people I left behind wouldn’t have changed some too. But that’s okay. Life would be really boring if we all remained exactly the same.


However, there are a few people in my life where I’m struggling to deal with the changes. Actually, I’m starting to think maybe they’ve stayed the same, and I’m the only one who’s changed. I don’t know anymore. But I keep trying to make the relationship work and it’s only leaving me frustrated. You see, all they ever talk about is mindless, stupid, trivial crap! I keep telling myself that surely it wasn’t always this way…or did I really used to enjoy this useless drivel? I mean sure, I like to dish about the latest Hollywood gossip as much as the next girl, but do we really need to dissect why some guys will only sleep with “big boned” women or spend days trying to come up with a more grown-up term for the word “boyfriend”? And then there was the conversation about how to “break the news” to your husband that you’re making more money than him. Really? I mean, never mind that it’s 2009, but in this economy is anybody actually still worried about that kind of crap? Puh-lease.


Dammit. I sound like some kind of intellectual snob who's up on her high horse again, don’t I? And that’s not how I want to come across. It’s not that I think I’m smarter or better than them – I don’t. They seem like really cool people, which is probably why millions of Atlantans – including me – consider Bert, Jenn, Melissa and Jeff their personal friends. They keep our minds off our miserable commutes with their constant chatter. Melissa tells us the five things we need to know that day. Jenn reveals the Entertainment Buzz. Jeff riles things up with his off-the-wall statements. And Bert comes up with interesting topics and invites callers to comment. Only lately, the topics seem designed to suck the intelligence right out of my head. Why Bert, why? It’s not that I expect hard-hitting news or serious commentary on the “issues,” but you gotta give me something more than idiots on the voice disguiser complaining about their sister-in-law who insists on breastfeeding in public.


Hey, I know that if I’m looking for an intellectual discussion I should probably just tune into NPR. And if I want some good tunes I should flip over to Dave FM. It’s just that I hate to say goodbye to the Bert Show. It’s like ending a friendship. And whether or not they’ve changed or I’ve changed or we’ve both changed…I guess it’s kind of irrelevant. It doesn’t change the fact that the relationship is ending. But in typical Robyn form, I just can’t seem to rip off the band aid and give us a clean break. No, I have to whine and analyze and give them a second chance, and then a third and a fourth. But I’ve drawn it out long enough now. At least, my husband seems to think so. In typical Roger form, he has decided to “fix” the problem by installing satellite radio in my car. (Thanks, baby!)


So, goodbye Bert Show. Breaking up is hard to do, but maybe we can still be friends…at least for the Entertainment Buzz.

2 comments:

  1. LOL, I have never been a huge fan of the Bert show...sometimes I listen to it, but I usually listen to tunes on my iPod on the way to work cause I need some good jams to pump me up before the work day begins! I agree with you on the show...they really do talk about mindless stuff, but the day after the shocking Bachelor, I had to listen! It will be ok, breaking up is hard to do, but nice job Roger on the satellite radio - that should solve it - now you can listen to all different shows and music on your way to work...you will have forgotten all about the Bert Show in no time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit that Cat and Janet told me about this blog entry and I had to find it! After my move to San Fran, I was constantly searching for a replacement for the Bert show and I have tried for 2 1/2 years look at the Alice Morning show with Sarah and No Name (Now Vinny) as a perfect fit....but this entry inspires me to just call a spade a spade and give up! In all honesty, it probably is the scarily similar to the Bert Show, but once removed from the the trivialness that was the Bert Show replacing it with something exactly the same seems so superficial. Wow, I feel like a weight is lifted. I don't have to try so hard to listen and get something out of Sarah and Vinny's banter. Will have to look into Satellite Radio, sounds like a great alternative :) So happy the blog is back...or that I found it!

    ReplyDelete