Saturday, November 20, 2010

Master Multi-tasker

I've always considered myself to be pretty good at multi-tasking. But until recently (11 weeks and 5 days ago if you want to be precise), I discovered what it means to really multi-task. And I've gotten pretty damn good at it if I do say so myself. Some examples? Well, I can change one baby's diaper while entertaining the other on the floor with my foot. I can rock a baby in a cradle with one foot, while rocking the other baby in my arm and washing bottles with the other hand. I can also pump breast milk, return emails and watch tv all at the same time.

Not impressed yet?

I can bottle feed 2 babies at the same time (see below!); I can breast feed 2 babies at the same time; in fact, I can breast feed 1 baby and bottle feed the other at the same time. I can even feed 1 baby while burping the other. And I've been known to use a headset to talk on the phone while doing all of the above!
I can also comfort 2 babies simulataneously. Julie often prefers my words to my arms, so if I lay her on the diaper changing station I can sing or talk to her while I hold Anna (who prefers to be held when she's upset). But when both babies want to be held, I find the best way is to sit on the floor Indian style and lay 1 baby in my lap (bouncing my legs slightly) while holding the other baby in my arms. This position also works well for holding 1 baby (in my lap) while changing the other's diaper (on the floor). All in a day's work. I often wish there was someone around to capture my multi-tasking magic on camera, but then again, if someone else was home they better be holding a baby and not fiddling with a camera!

I'm getting pretty confident with my multi-tasking abilities, but Monday I've got another task to throw into the mix - my job. I'm kind of a mess about it. I love my job and I miss my coworkers and I even miss having something to talk/think about that doesn't involve poop and spit up. But I'm also so very sad at the idea of being away from the girls for 10 hours, 5 days a week. It just seems wrong. The longest I've been away from them so far has been about 4 hours. And to immediately jump to 10 seems crazy. I feel I should have been weaning myself off of them in these last few weeks, but I haven't wanted to waste a minute. And I know they will be okay at daycare, but that doesn't mean that I will be okay!

And on top of my feelings of sadness and guilt are my feelings of fear that as good at multi-tasking as I've become, it still won't be good enough. How can I be a really good mom and still be good at my job too? I know all of these feelings are normal, but that doesn't make them any less scary. And I am definitely scared.

But 12 weeks ago I was scared that I wouldn't be able to take care of 2 babies and I've managed that somehow, so I'm sure I'll manage what lies ahead too...

Still, if you could send some thoughts, prayers, and/or good vibes my way Monday morning it would be much appreciated.

3 comments:

  1. Sending good vibes come Monday morning:-) I have been there..it does suck...there WILL be tears (more yours than theirs) You are most certainly NOT the 1st woman to survive this (and you WILL survive!!) One of the toughest things I have ever done (but way more difficult with my son than with my daughter 2yrs later) Good thoughts ONLY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Robyn! I will be thinking about you tomorrow and sending good vibes and prayers! Love you, J

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought about you today Robyn and hoped and prayed all was going well for you - and the girls!! Your post was AMAZING...I was getting dizzy just listening to all that multi-tasking! You are a wonderful Mom - maybe you should call TLC or something to see if they want to make a reality show out of your life with Roger and the girls...you guys are really fascinating people and now with twins, I bet it is pretty cool - I would watch ;) My family has often thought of calling to start a reality show - my Mom, Dad, 95 year old Grandmother, sister, bro-in-law, 16 month old baby & 3 dogs all live in the same house & I am there a lot & visitors in & out...we think it is pretty crazy, LOL!! BUT you will do beautifully, I just know it!! GOOD LUCK!!! I know you will not have a lot of time to give a blog update, but I will be anxiously awaiting how all things are going since being a working Mom with twins :)Take care!

    ReplyDelete