Monday, November 8, 2010

Cliche

The girls are 10 weeks old today. And for 10 whole weeks, I have managed to avoid the parenting cliche of running into the nursery just to make sure the baby is still breathing. Maybe a mother of one baby does that kind of thing, but when a mother has two sleeping babies in that room she doesn't dare go in and risk waking them up simply to reassure herself that they are still alive. She just has to trust that they are. I read this in a book about parenting twins, and have found it to be true for me.

Until last night.

Since the beginning, our nights have been pretty predictable. The bedtime has gotten earlier, and the time between bedtime and that first wail has gotten increasingly longer (thank God!), but one thing has remained consistent - Julie is the one doing the wailing. She doesn't eat as much as Anna (despite my best efforts to force her to do so!) so she gets hungry sooner. When she starts wailing at night, I go in and feed her and then wake Anna up to feed her too (Twin Rule #1 - When one eats, both eat). Lately, Julie's first wail has been sometime between 3 and 4 am. Which isn't bad at all. We put them down by 9, so that's a good 6 or 7 hour stretch (if only I also went to bed at 9!). But last night, the first wail was heard at 4:30 - and it wasn't a wail at all but a whimper. And from the sound of that whimper I could tell it was Anna. Definitely not Julie.

Now a whimper can be just a whimper. It doesn't necessarily mean a baby is waking up. She might just be resettling or having a dream, so I usually let it turn into a cry before I go rushing to the nursery. (Don't judge me people - I've got TWO of them in there - I can't jump at every noise!) This time, however, I panicked. But before I went rushing in there, I woke Roger.

"Roger! It's 4:30!"

"4:30?" he mumbles. "That's awesome - she made it to 4:30." (The "she" being Julie - because it's always Julie.)

"But it's not Julie. It's Anna, right? Isn't that Anna?" I say, shoving the monitor closer to his ear.

"That's Anna," he agrees, more awake now. "But go look."

I tiptoe into the nursery and sure enough Anna is barely whimpering and Julie's eyes are closed; she's totally still. I creep closer. I put my hand near her nose to make sure she's breathing. I think I feel air. I'm pretty sure. I give Anna a pacifier and she falls back asleep immediately. I run back to the bedroom.

"Well?" Roger asks. He's sitting up in bed, clearly worried.

"It was Anna," I confirm.

"And Julie's okay?"

"I think so."

"Well, is she breathing? Did you check?" He starts to get out of bed.

"I think so! I don't know!" I say, uncertain now of whether I actually felt air or not.

We both go rushing back into the nursery. Roger reaches into Julie's crib to touch her face. She opens her eyes slightly, looking irritated by the disturbance. Roger then goes to Anna. He needs confirmation that she too is okay. She's sound asleep.

We tiptoe back to our room relieved though realizing that we've become the cliche. The fact that Roger is also a cliche makes me feel slightly better about the situation.

And just in case you're curious... half an hour later, Anna started whimpering again, then crying, so I went back to the nursery to feed both of them. But 9 pm to 5 am? I call that sleeping through the night! Now let's just see if they can do it again...

5 comments:

  1. Proud that you've avoided the cliche so far! We slept with a video monitor of Lilly until she turned 2! And I still go in her room before I go to sleep to make sure my little 4 year old is breathing... Hope your precious girls are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Robyn, i so love your blog, i think you are the most entertaining writer!!! I must say that is seems somewhat exhausting having twins, but it sounds like you are doing a fantastic job!! Congrats!!
    When they are big enough, you much come and visit us here at Pump ...
    take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SWEET!!! On the sleeping thing :-) ...I was a panicky mother for good reason... I realized before the docs that something REALLY was wrong...I had a a silent reflux baby (w/apnea) darn kid actually DID stop breathing ON US!! Mothers have good instinct on that one though!! Glad you are still surviving AND it's good the hubby HAD to check too,LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cathleen - At times I defintiely wish we had the video monitor! Hope the Princess is still perfect!

    Karen - So good to hear from you! I miss you all so much - I'm sure we will head to South Africa with the girls before too long...I'm already scared of that flight though!

    Angi - Silent Reflux? Scary!!!! Thank God for instincts...I'm learning to listen to my own too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is DEFINITELY sleeping through the night! Nice job! My sister and her hubby had that Angel monitor to check their breathing, the temp and all of that, but there were times when she was an infant where the position of the mat was wrong and the alarm went off and scared us all soooo bad, so a good thing and a bad thing! Luckily, once my sister and her hubby got the positoning of that mat right, then no more alarms went off. And they now have the video monitor since she is older and let me tell you, it is entertaining to watch her fall asleep and she pulled her letters off the wall...needless to say, those were moved FAST! LOL! Sounds like things are going well though...love your blog and happy 10 weeks to the girls - or guess it would be 11 weeks now :) TAKE CARE :)

    ReplyDelete