Monday, September 20, 2010

Counting

Today my daughters are 3 weeks old, or 21 days, depending on how you’re counting. Me, I’m doing a lot of counting these days minutes spent nursing, milliliters of supplement, ounces of weight gain, number of wet diapers, number of poops, number of minutes available to shower or check email or close my eyes until the next feeding begins…

It’s certainly not easy – juggling newborn twins – but these early days haven't actually been as difficult as I feared. Of course I'm pretty sure that's only because my mother has been living with us since Day One - not only helping with diaper changes and round the clock feedings but also serving as chef, housekeeper, and personal shopper too. So it's with great dread that I'm counting down the days I have left with her here full-time.

But my mom's exit will be immediately followed by the arrival of Roger's parents, and Roger assures me that they will provide just as much assistance as my Mom. I I'm sure he's right, but it won't be quite the same. I know the M-I-L is a great house guest she's a huge help in the kitchen and she takes her title of "Laundry Fairy" quite seriously. Still, I can't help but wonder if she will be as willing to get up at 1 am (...and 4 am...and 7 am) as my mom has been. And even if she is willing, how much harder will it be for me to ask for help from her than from my own mom? I'm counting on that being tougher than I'd like it to be.

But all in all things are going well. The girls are gaining weight, staying awake longer (though not always at appropriate times), and I'm feeling a little more confident every day that Roger and I can actually do this...even if we still have a little while before we have to do it on our own.

So mostly I'm counting my blessings...my precious little girls, my amazing husband, my selfless mom, my adoring sister and her family, my eager in-laws, and of course the generous friends who have come by offering encouragement, support, and more importantly...food! (Because one thing I'm not counting just yet is calories!)

Pretty cute, huh?


6 comments:

  1. That picture is extremely precious! I can't wait for your blog updates after the in-laws arrive...it'll be an African refresh :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness...that pic is too cute! So glad things are going well...I will call soon and find a good time to come by and meet them (and bring food)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute Robyn! Glad to hear you're doing so well. We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are SO cute! You guys better let me know when they come up north to visit Cousins Avery and Leroy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are just adorable and beautiful and precious and all of the above! You and Roger are amazing parents from what it sounds like - so glad all is well! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful babies...and oh my you must be sooooooo tired!!!!

    ReplyDelete