Thursday, March 17, 2011

Pinch me

I've been hesitant to talk about this for fear of jinxing it, but it's been nearly three weeks now, so I guess it's time to share. As of March 1st I'm working part-time. I still have my same job - albeit with reduced responsibilities - but I only report to work on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. I'm home with the girls on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and a nanny (a highly qualified mother of four daughters!) stays with the girls on the days I'm at work.

It almost feels too good to be true. I get to spend more time with my babies while still staying involved at work. The girls' constant colds seem to have gone away. They are definitely getting more attention, and they seem less fussy at night thanks to better naps during the day. And for the first time in months, I don't feel like a zombie.

But I wouldn't be me if I couldn't find something to stress about even in this ideal arrangment. And I have - it's too perfect! I keep waiting for something to go wrong. The nanny decides she doesn't like the job. My boss decides he doesn't need me as much as he thought he did.

And if I'm being really honest, I think I'm also a little worried that by moving to a part-time position I've somehow admitted defeat. I couldn't do it all. I'm not Superwoman.

But you know what? That's okay. I may have lost a few bragging rights, but at this moment, I wouldn't change a thing.

5 comments:

  1. That is wonderful! So happy for you guys, it sounds ideal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news! I'm glad it is all working out. I wouldn't feel bad yet. You may find that staying home with twins makes you even more of a Superwoman! Love you, J

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouragement guys!

    Jen, I really didn't mean to imply that a working mom is more of a "superwoman" than a mom that stays at home. I'm definitely more exhausted at the end of my days alone with the girls than I am at the end of my "work" days! I guess I just feel (a little) defeated in that I tried to take on motherhood one way (as a full-time working mom) and I couldn't make my choice work. But if I've learned anything so far, it's that motherhood means constantly modifying the plan! Just when you think one thing is working, you have to try something else. So that's what I've done I guess. And this seems to be working...for now anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great that you found a balance that works for you! Miss hearing about you and your girls!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew what you meant, Robyn! No worries...I just meant that you have TWO little ones that will soon be mobile etc. It might get hectic so you def shouldn't feel like you chose an easier route. I think you found a perfect balance.

    ReplyDelete